Little compares with the hum of 60,000 square feet of data center operating at peak efficiency. Over the course of nearly a decade, we tripled the size of Sungard’s Scottsdale, Arizona, colocation space, turning it into their flagship Megacenter. As Data Center Operations Manager, I was ultimately responsible, but the team I built over the years proved indispensable.
Laid off after a company reorganization in 2014, I’ve spent the last four years exploring options within the aviation industry. (I’m a licensed plane, helicopter, and drone pilot.) Despite a number of successes, I miss the data center and have decided to casually consider the most appealing options for getting back into the tech sector where I belong.
Missing the challenge and rewards of building and growing a managed service, the acquisition of of a 13,000 sq foot raised floor data center, on boarding and tuning the team to run that facility, while simultaneously building out 46,000 square feet of managed recovery and hosting space in another location and building the team to manage our managed hosting service, while integrating that service into our traditional DR service and the traditional teams for those services. Doing so with zero outages or downtime in a 10 year span.
My main drive & hobby is computer security and forensics. I am currently pursuing my CEH and Security Plus certifications, while studying Metasploit, Kali Linux, Docker & Linux Containers and various other tools and utilities. I am ITIL V3 certified as well.
I am available for a phone screen on 24 hours’ notice, or an in-person interview on 48. Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to speaking with you soon.
DATA CENTER MANAGEMENT
Managing data center acquisition, while simultaneously building out data center to move company from a standard recovery model to a fully managed hosting and recovery model.
Increased team morale and efficiency
Improved RTO and RPO
Expansions under budget
10 yrs, 0 outages
11/14 – present: FAA Licensed Fixed Wing/Rotorcraft/Drone Pilot, Owner
KeyConcepts, LLC d/b/a Key-AerialGraphics, Phoenix, AZ
- Arial photography, cinematography, survey, data acquisition
- Post-production, data hosting, processing
02/05 – 10/14: Manager, Data Center Operations
06/99 – 03/01: Disaster Recovery Specialist
Sungard Availability Services, Scottsdale, AZ
- Managed two facilities concurrently, 12,000 sq.ft. in Phoenix, 33,000 sq.ft. in Scottsdale, to include 16,000 sq.ft. disaster recovery space, eight members per team
- Managed three expansion projects in Scottsdale facility, increasing efficiency/PUE
- Managed all hosted systems supporting managed hosting & recovery offerings
- Maintained ISO 27001/20000-1, SAS70/SSAE16, PCI, NERC requirements
- Responsible for operational & capital expenditure budgets
- Zero facility or center outages in either facility in this time
- Prioritized high team retention & career progression
- Unix system administration/recovery specialist for Solaris, AIX & Linux systems
- Project lead in MetroStor/Co-Location & eSourcing solutions projects, western region
- Mixed environment configurations
11/01 – 02/05: System Administrator
Desert Sky Software, Phoenix, AZ
- System administrator for web hosting applications running on Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD & OpenBSD
- Designed, deployed, & managed hosted applications running Apache, WebObjects, Oracle
- Designed, deployed online systems inventory across three hosted locations
- Streamlined implementation process through in-house tool automation
- Designed, deployed disaster recovery procedure for company
03/01 – 09/01: System Administrator, Global Application Development Team
IBM/University of Michigan, Joint Careweb Project, Tucson, AZ
TECHNICAL SKILLS & TOOLS
*Team Leadership *Data Center Management *Small Business Owner *Customer Service *Sales Presentations *Unix *Oracle *TCP/IP Networking *Shell Scripting *Remedy/Service Now *Nagios *Netcool/Zenoss *Foreseer (DataTrax) *FreeBSD *OpenBSD *PF *SSH/SCP *Linux *Apache *Visio *Solaris *AIX *HP-UX *AS/400 *MCP *VMS *Digital Unix *Sequent *NetWare *Kali Linux *Metasploit
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
ITIL Foundation V3
2018: Currently pursuing *Linux+(Linux Essentials Certification) *CEHv9 *Docker Certified Assoiciate
2013: American Management Institute 14 CPE Credits in Successfully Managing People 2013
1996-1998: University of Phoenix Information Technology Program, no degree